"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Power of a Good Picture Book


Photo by Maisie Duncan
I haven't posted a picture in a while. As I was looking for just the right one, I stumbled upon this one I took with an old point and shoot in Afghanistan. I love this picture. The girls were all given books depicting photos of women in their own culture who had taken steps forward and attained positions of power.

A large majority of the Afghan population is illiterate, especially the girls. So to have this book with photos of strong women, showing it was not only okay but vital to push the bounds of expectations was incredible. To be part of the experience and to watch these girls glimpse into what could possibly be their future was truly humbling. What a difference a book makes.

It is a nice reminder that what we do can have tremendous benefits not only to our checkbooks but in the minds of others. A wonderful thing to keep in mind when I sit down at my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment