"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, March 18, 2010

How to Find Inspiration at Your Fingertips

I really do mean at your fingertips. I am talking about pictures. Practicing photography (and i mean practicing-I am definantly still at hobby try-out level here) is one of my favorite things to do. What I love about it so much is that it forces you to look at the world in a more discerning way. Suddenly you start noticing the contrast of light on angles, the back lit curls of someone's hair, the immense beauty in something so simple as a rock or a tree. What's even more thrilling is seeing the developed photo and feeling its story captured in that moment.

Pictures are used in writing prompts often. I bought a wonderful book, The Pocket Muse by Monica Wood, that is filled with pictures as prompts. I have had it for several years and it remains my go to back up in my frequent blank page stare downs.

The idea came up of using my love of taking pictures to find a deeper connection to my actual surroundings. All in the hopes of creating inspiration versus waiting for it. This was actually my mom's idea. I adore her for it, but kick myself for not thinking of this before.

Starting today I will be posting some of my photographs. Images of my world in which I find unexpected beauty, curiosities, or histories waiting to be told.

What ideas or questions do these pictures bring up in you? Use these as inspiration for your own writing. Or better yet, go grab a camera and capture your own! Have fun with this.

These photos are my own and I would appreciate requests before they are shared outside of this blog. Thanks!



Photo by Maisie Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment