"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Riding the Short Bus to the World of Social Media

I’m not trying to create the greatest blog the internet has ever seen. I am just a writer trying to do what she loves and share the experience with others who are in the same boat: writers taking the leap from passion to career. Now, I have to create a presence, get known before I get published, gain followers, loyal readers, friends in the publishing industry, blogosphere, tweet and facebook world. Oh, and don’t forget the clips you need to get the jobs so you can get the clips you want. Okay...Breathe... I can do this.... 

This is my life now. I am in it for what I think are all the right reasons. So why does it seem like those reasons are supposed to be taking a back seat to all the hoopla I am supposed to be making about myself? And all that writing I am supposed to be doing whilst creating this vital platform…well let’s just say that it’s falling farther and farther down the list. Like the ‘do the dirty dishes’ part of the list. When I have managed to gain 30 minutes to write uninterrupted- which is not happening right now, by the way—I consider myself lucky. Now those 30 minutes are being scrounged out of seemingly nowhere.

The point here is just to comment on staying focused. Keep the priorities aligned with our desired outcome. If I had a blog rated in the top 10 on TopMomBlogger that would be the cherry on top! But I am trying to remind myself that it is not my initial goal here. It is so easy to get lost in this endless world of life stories, opinions, lessons, and advice. It is addictive. It’s downright mesmerizing! At any one time I have 8 to 10 tabs open on my server just clicking from one world to the next in a race against my short attention span.

STOP. FOCUS. FOCUS. FOCUS.

And I thought all I was going to have to worry about was just being a terrible writer. It can all be very overwhelming sometimes. But thanks to all of the other bloggers, tweeters, facebookers, and podcasters out there, at least I feel I am in good company.

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you captured the frustration of trying to create in the over-exposure world we're living in.

    Maybe you could switch to paper plates for a while?? I wish I could offer better suggestions. Would it help to know at least that you're not alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does help to know we are not alone! One great thing about having so much at our finger tips is the easy access to others experiencing the same thing. In an occupation that can be so isolating, its comforting to know there's someone out there feeling it too.

    And you know, paper plates are a really good idea. :)I will take anything that would make even a tiny improvement to the ease of my day. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete